This is the first post of the blog therefore I am starting with a basic article. Today we are going to have a look at some of the most important terms in the world of digital marketing. This is a comprehensive list of the widely used words, and for the people who want to know just the important ones, can find a video at the end of this post which shows only the nine must-know digital marketing terms.
1. Analytics– It is the discovery, interpretation, and communication of meaningful patterns in data generated by people’s activities online
2. App– Short for application, it is a program designed to be run on mobile devices such as smart phones, tablets, etc.
3. Banner ad – Also known as web banner, it is type of advertising found on websites and applications
4. Blog – A truncation of the expression weblog, is a discussion or informational website consisting of text entries (posts), typically on a specific subject matter
5. Browser – Commonly referred to as web browser, it is a computer program used to access and navigate the internet. Example- Google chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, etc.
6. CPA– Short for cost per acquisition, it is an online advertisement pricing model where the advertiser pays only for a specified acquisition like a sale, click, or form submit
7. CPT – Short for cost per thousand, it is the cost or expense incurred for each potential customer who views the online advertisement
8. CTR – Short for click-through rate, it is the ratio of users who click on a specific link to the number of total users who view a page, email, or advertisement
9. Conversion – Traditionally it meant the conversion of site visitors into paying customers. However, different sites might consider it as an action that the website wants the visitor to perform. Example- Form submissions, phone calls, video views, etc.
10. Conversion optimization– Also known as conversion rate optimization, it is the process of increasing the percentage of visitors to a website that performs a desired action
11. Conversion rate – It is the ratio of the number of conversions to the number of visitors on a website
12. CPC – Short for cost-per-click, it is the amount of money required to acquire a single click on an advertisement online. Sometimes it is also called PPC which is short for pay-per-click
13. Crawler – Also known as a spider, it is an internet bot that systematically browses the web to collect information for indexing, and help searchers find what they are looking for
14. Desktop – A personal computer designed to for regular use at a single location, typically on a desk due to its size and power requirements
15. Domain authority – It is a marking scale used by search engines to determine how authoritative a company’s website is, 1 being the lowest rank and 100 being the highest
16. Digital content – Also known as digital media, it is any content that exists in the form of digital data, such as text, audio, video, images, etc.
17. E-commerce – Short for electronic commerce, it is a transaction of buying and selling online
18. Email marketing – It is the act of sending a commercial message using email to share information and promote products and services, typically to a group of people
19. Home page – Also known as the main or start page, it is the initial page of a website or a browser
20. HTML – Short for hyper-text mark-up language, it is a language used for creating web pages or applications
21. Impressions – The number of times an online advertising is fetched from its source and displayed. Each time an ad is fetched, it is counted as one impression
22. Index – A systematic list of digital content on web pages used by search engines to provide relevant results to the searchers
23. Keyword – A word or a phase that can be targeted by a business as part of their advertising
24. Keyword stuffing – It is the practice of using too many keywords in content in hopes of making it more visible on search engines, however, search engines may penalize a website for doing so
25. Landing page – Sometimes called a lead capture page, it is a single web page that appears in response to clicking on an online advertisement
26. Link – Short for hyperlink, it is a reference to data that the reader can directly follow either by clicking, tapping, or hovering. Like this one- Link.
27. Meta description – It is a few lines of text that appear on the search engine results page just under the title tag
28. Mobile device – Also known as a handheld computer, it is a portable computing device capable pf connecting to the internet, and running applications
29. Organic listing – Also known as natural listing, it is a result from a search engine which are not paid advertisements
30. Paid listing – It is an advertisement that appears on search engine result pages
31. PPC – Short for pay-per-click, it is an internet advertising model used to direct traffic to websites, it which an advertiser pays a publisher when an ad is clicked
32. Query – Also known as search term, it is a keyword or phrase that users search for on an search engine
33. Ranking – It is the position of a listing on search engine results page
34. RSS – Short for Really Simple Syndication, it is a technology that allows users to become subscribers of content and get automatic alerts if updates are made
35. Search engine – It is a software system that is designed to search for information online. Popular search engines include Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.
36. SEO – Short for search engine optimization, it is the process of affecting the visibility of websites or web pages in a search engine’s unpaid results
37. SEM – Short for search engine marketing, it is a form of internet marketing that involves the promotion of websites, or web pages by increasing their visibility in a search engine’s results, primarily through paid advertising
38. SERP – Short for search engine results page, it is a page displayed by a search engine in a response to a query by a searcher
39. Session – It is a group of interactions that take place on a website within a given time frame
40. Social media – It is a computer mediated technology that facilitate the creation and sharing of content such as texts, images, videos, etc. across the internet
41. Social network – It is a community of individuals who create and share content
42. Subscriber – It is a person who allows a company to send him messages through email or other personal communication means
43. Traffic acquisition – It is the process of acquiring visitors, who are referred to as traffic, to website, applications, and other digital assets
44. Unique visitor – it is a single visitor to a website during a specific period of time
45. URL – Short for Uniform Resource Locator, it is the unique address of a page or piece of digital content on the internet
46. Viral marketing – Also known as viral advertising, it is a marketing technique in which the audience is encouraged to pass on a company’s content to others for better exposure and brand awareness
Please note that this list is not exhaustive, and new terms would be added periodically. So keep following.